Search This Blog

Monday, August 1, 2011

Faster than the Speed of Light

This bodega thing is coming along a lot faster than I thought - even with the extra work thrown in.  We have had a problem with our power bill for 8 months - the meter says we are using a TON of power, but we can't figure out where.  We have a lot of lights, yes, but they are never on at the same time; we don't have an air-conditioner that runs all day; and actually these last 8 months have been with and without customers in the apartment above and the power meter has read the same.  So the men "in the know" tell us that we can have another power meter as well as a replacement for the meter that doesn't function well - thus splitting the power usage between 2 meters which reduces the power used on each of these meters so that we then qualifying for government contributions again!  That's like $100 bucks for each meter!  Additionally these need to be on a new post and the are not permitted to be on the house as in the past. The men are now making those post holes:
   
 Meanwhile, the flowers in the garden are looking great - the garden itself not so great because everything that was in the storage shed (in the driveway) is now all over the place!  What a mess - but it warms my heart to see the dahlias growing so well here.  I have planted the dahlias in a planter, and because they are so fragile in these climes I water them with bottled water - and look at them grow!
You can see some more buds on the other side trying to poke their way through.  I found these beauties while Dave and I were in Mazamitla, near where our friends are in Valle de Juarez.  I originally bought 4 of them, but only 3 have survived.  I also bought some Calla Lilies - purple in color.  I thought I'd lost them too, but somehow they have come back.  Again I originally bought 4, and it seems that 3 again have survived.  I have wonderful green leaves sprouting!  Hmmm - 3 out of 4 survive - gotta remember that.  Also the last of the Bird of Paradise bud has flowered.  I am constantly in awe of that fantastic color combination!

2 comments:

  1. Well, this is almost like reading your diary! Of course, I'm sure you're saving the private parts for yourselves...:-)
    Love to hear your news.
    It's finally getting hot up here in Canuck Land.
    Gail and Dale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom mentioned the sun - glad you're finally getting some of it! We're mostly overcast so I can't even send you some of ours! :(

    ReplyDelete